Sunday, July 25, 2010

Our Time with the Lucero Family

Spending time with Martha and Hector Lucero was one of the high points of the trip. They are loving, generous people who were highly attentive to me. They travel as a pair, much like my own parents did. They oriented me to the city, took me to Cynthia’s Foundation that works to establish a much needed program of organ donation in the country, arranged several meals for Mario and me, including a lunch in their home. With me only speaking in English, Martha was patient and attentive as her husband translated for us. When Mario Murga came down to join us, he provided a complement to our group by his ability to speak with Martha in Spanish.

It is impossible to understand the incalculable loss that the death of a child brings to the parents. The Luceros have done remarkable work with the Foundation Dra. Cynthia Lucero whose purpose is to educate the public about the importance of Organ Donations. Hector is a true advocate; when he was introduced at a meeting of local psychologists and teachers, following a lecture that I gave, he thanked the school for its work in Cynthia’s name then asked the group to consider, “only for a minute” the importance of giving life, as his daughter did, to those who need organs, after we are finished with them. Their grief is palpable and it is concretized in the materials and the heroic pictures of Cynthia running races and growing through life that are in the several rooms that are the Foundation. I learned about her visits to the aged and of the collections of soap and shampoo that she brought with her to them. I learned of her strident feminism from a proud father and of her investment in community.

About forty people gathered on Thursday evening for some wine and shrimp at the Foundation. I met some of Cynthia’s teachers and the friends and family who make up some of the Foundation Membership. They showed a brief film about Cynthia to further introduce her to our group. Our students looked beautiful and graciously interacted with the friends and family. They offered introductions of themselves in English and Spanish. It is important for me that they come to know Cynthia and her parents. The work that we are doing in this program is a real effort to extend the tragically cut-short life and work of an inspirational young woman. They clearly got that message and I was proud of the way that they engaged the membership individually and in small groups. I was very proud of them.

Nick Covino
President

No comments: