Monday, July 23, 2007

Worlds colliding

Hi all,
I have had a wonderful experience thus far in Costa Rica. Pura Vida! I have learnt a lot about the language and the culture, and had enough time to reflect on my role in Latino Mental Health in the U.S. This immersion experince will be, and already is, an invaluable component to my growth as an empathic individual and as a cultrually sensitive clinician. The distance that separates the lands and the cultures is minimal to the humanity that unites us. I believe my privilege compells me to learn more and to ask more questions. The school and home experince here is rich with opportunities to ask important questions and to learn more about our similarities and differences. I would recommend this program and experience in a heartbeat.

I am very honored to be here, and am certainly enjoying our weekend trips!!! I was in heaven in the coffee plantation and it is still hard to believe that just yesterday i was riding the rapids down a dangerious rio in the middle of a tropical jungle. Next weekend we are going to the beach...it's hard not to enjoy the perks of being in the Latino Mental Health Program at MSPP!!!

Ok, well that is it for me for now. I have to head home as my mama Tica will be waiting for me :)
Hope all is good with you guys in Boston.
peace,
jeanine

No comments: